The Arlington County Police Department will close several streets on the Fourth of July and urges visitors or people gathering to watch the evening's fireworks to use the Metro.
Rosslyn Station is about five blocks from the Iwo Jima Memorial. The Pentagon City Metro Station puts you within walking distance to the Air Force Memorial. And shuttles at Pentagon City and Crystal City stations can take you to Long Bridge Park.
Residents and visitors are reminded that alcohol, grills and fireworks are not allowed on county and federal park land on the Fourth of July, and that coolers and backpacks will be subject to search.
Festivities are going on as planned despite words of caution earlier this week from Arlington County's emergency management director.
"We want people to enjoy the Fourth of July festivities in a safe and controlled matter," police spokesman Dustin Sternbeck. "That's why we are encouraging people to attend the various viewing places across the county."
The following roads will be closed, according to police:
6 a.m. to midnight:
- Memorial Bridge/Memorial Circle
2 p.m. to midnight:
- Eastbound Washington Boulevard between I-395 (Exit 8B) and Memorial Bridge
- North Meade Street from Marshall Drive to Route 50 (access to the Fort Myer Heights neighborhood will be from the Rhodes Street bridge)
- Marshall Drive from Route 110 to North Meade Street
- Eastbound North Fairfax Drive from North Pierce Street to North Fort Myer Drive
- Exit ramp from westbound Route 50 to North Lynn Street (Rosslyn exit)
5 p.m. to midnight:
- Long Bridge Drive from Boundary Channel Drive to South 10th Street
7 p.m. to midnight:
- Eastbound Route 50 at North Pershing Drive (detour using Washington Boulevard)
- Columbia Pike between South Orme Street and the Pentagon
- South Joyce Street from Army Navy Drive to Columbia Pike
- Ramp from westbound Washington Boulevard to eastbound Columbia Pike
- Ramp from westbound Washington Boulevard to westbound Columbia Pike
8:30 p.m. to midnight:
- Fort Myer Drive from Wilson Boulevard to the Meade Street bridge
Employees requiring access to the Pentagon should enter South Parking from Army Navy Drive or North Parking from Boundary Channel Drive, according to police.