The Winter Storm Watch is in effect from Sunday morning through Monday morning. The weather service warns that the area can expect to see:
- Snow and sleet beginning just after sunrise Sunday, changing to freezing rain Sunday afternoon. Freezing rain is expected to last until late Sunday night or Monday morning, changing to rain.
- 1 or 2 inches of snow and sleet and a quarter-inch or more of ice accumulation possible.
- The changeover to freezing rain is expected midday Sunday and will continue into the night before changing over to rain late Sunday night or Monday morning.
- Temperatures will be about 30 degrees Sunday.
- Hazardous travel conditions are probable due to slick roads and icy conditions Sunday and possibly into Monday. Increased power outages are possible.
Tips for driving on icy roads, from VDOT:
- Tell someone (a friend, relative or co-worker) you are taking a trip, where you are going, the routes you will travel and when you expect to arrive.
- Before you leave town, fill your gas tank. While traveling, frequently refill the gas tank.
- Don’t get on the road without a winter travel survival kit.
- If your vehicle breaks down, pull as far off the road as possible. Your greatest personal danger at this point is being hit by passing cars.
- Stay in the car if visibility is poor. You may become disoriented and lost while wandering in a snowstorm, making it more difficult for rescuers to find you. If you have a cell phone, call for help.