Lopez has served in the Virginia House of Delegates since January 2012, representing the 49th district which includes south Arlington and eastern Fairfax County.
With Lopez leaving the race, the Democratic primary now has 11 still in the running.
Lopez' campaign released this statement on Friday:
Thanking supporters and pledging to continue his work to expand opportunity, Delegate Alfonso Lopez announced today the end of his campaign for Congress: “I got into this race because even though on paper the economy is doing well, too many people are still struggling to make ends meet. Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future.
I am proud of how my campaign resonated with many voters in the Eighth District, especially new Americans, and that we assembled a coalition of many generous supporters. However, after we closed the fundraising quarter, I took the time to evaluate, with my team, the position of my campaign. It is clear to me that I do not have the resources necessary to run the campaign we wanted and that the people of the Eighth District deserved. With that in mind, I do not want to ask my supporters to continue to make the sacrifices of time, treasure and talent that they have so generously made thus far.
Although my campaign for Congress comes to an end today, my work to expand opportunity for all Virginians continues. In the coming weeks, I will lay out a new plan for my work to expand opportunity here in Virginia. We must do more in Richmond to ensure that everyone has a chance at the American Dream.
The voters of the Eighth District have many qualified and talented candidates to choose from on June 10 — many of whom I know well. I am confident that our next representative will fight for the progressive values of Northern Virginia.”
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors