Hope, 42, who represents Arlington's 47th District in the General Assembly, won a decisive victory in the poll, winning 57 percent of the 93 votes cast. This is the only planned straw poll this year for Arlington Young Democrats.
"I have said before that this campaign is about choosing a new generation of progressive leadership," Patrick Hope said after the results. "This victory shows that young progressive activists are rallying behind our campaign."
There are 11 Democratic candidates in the race; Del. Mark Sickles bowed out recently and Nancy Najarian threw her hat in the ring last week.
Full Results (93 votes cast)
- Patrick Hope: 57 percent
- Alfonso Lopez: 17 percent
- Lavern Chatman: 8 percent
- Charniele Herring: 5 percent
- Bruce Shuttleworth: 4 percent
- Adam Ebbin: 4 percent
- Derek Hyra: 2 percent
- Mark Levine: 1 percent
- Don Beyer: 1 percent
- Bill Euille: 1 percent
- Nancy Najarian: 1 percent
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors