The Arlington County Fire Department responded to a blaze at a Fairlington townhouse Wednesday afternoon. No civilians or firefighters were injured.
The townhouse, at 2911 S. Buchanan St., is currently unoccupied and undergoing renovations, Capt. Gregg Karl said.
Deputy Fire Marshal Wan Kanthula said the fire began when two workers installing a new water heater in the basement experienced a malfunction with a small acetylene torch.
Though the fire started in the basement, the first and second floors suffered extensive smoke and heat damage, Karl said.