.

OSHA Investigates Fatal Electrocution at Construction Site

Man dies Wednesday after incident in the 2200 block of North Pershing Drive.

A construction worker died after being electrocuted Wednesday afternoon at the site of a mixed-use development in the 2200 block of North Pershing Drive.

The man was working on an electrical panel in a closet, police spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said. A co-worker left to get supplies, heard a noise, and came back to find the man in contact with a live wire. The co-worker went to find something to knock the man away from the wire, but when he returned, the man was unconscious on the floor, Sternbeck said.

Emergency responders performed CPR on the man. He was taken to Virginia Hospital Center and pronounced dead.

Police have not released the man's identity as his next of kin has not yet been notified. Sternbeck said the man appeared to be in his mid-20s.

The Occupational Health and Safety Administration, or OSHA, is conducting an investigation, Sternbeck said.

Veteran Electrician September 19, 2012 at 01:33 AM
The worker name is Alfredo Flores Gutierrez, 40 years old, Mexican immigrant. His wife and kids live in Mexico and there is not next of kin in the United States. I worked briefly with Alfredo about 3 years ago and he was the best person to have as coworker, always happy and a very dedicated worker but i doubt he had the qualifications or experience to work in a 480 volts HOT panel. I hope his employer or the general contractor be fined or punished for killing Alfredo and I hope his poor family receives some compensation for their loss. H M

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something