Several parked cars were reported damaged over the last week in Arlington, according to the Arlington County Police Department.
The first incident happened sometime between midnight and 2 p.m. on Saturday, when cars parked in the 3900 block of North 14th Street were damaged. At least seven vehicles had broken mirrors, windows and dented frames, according to Arlington police.
The second incident happened a day later, sometime between 7:30 and 10:30 a.m. in the 3900 block of South Cathedral Lane. Police report that someone broke into the passenger side window of a locked car and stole several items. The driver-side front window of another vehicle parked on the same street was also smashed, but nothing in that car was stolen, police said.
Cars also had damage in the last few weeks in the 2800 block of North Tacoma Street and in the 3500 block of North Nottingham Street.
At the Arlington County Police Department’s community forums this fall, crime prevention officers offered these reminders for car security:
- Lock all car doors.
- Never leave a GPS device affixed to the windshield when not in use; remove and store in console, glove box or inside a home.
- Lock your car even when parked in a garage.
- If your car has an alarm, activate it when the car is not in use.
- If you have an alarm service such as On-Star or Lojack, keep current on monthly fees.
- Be familiar with your vehicle information (VIN, registration number, insurance carrier) should an incident occur.
- Never leave you car idling without someone in the vehicle.
- Never leave a spare key hidden within the vehicle.
- Never leave a key in the ignition when unattended.